During the summer associate program, our lawyers will provide you with a stimulating, realistic and exciting taste of legal life. You'll experience challenging days filled with client work, relationship-building opportunities and lively activities. You will be engaged and make an impact in a range of legal assignments and practice areas. We encourage you to work on matters of particular interest. In past years, summer associates have actively participated in projects such as:
- Reviewing documents and preparing outline for cross-examination in a white-collar mortgage fraud matter
- Drafting Board Consent to Restrict Common Stock Issuance
- Assisting with preparation for Ninth Circuit En Banc oral argument including review appellate briefs and post-trial briefs; helping draft outline for oral argument; conducting legal research; reviewing factual record
- Interviewing incarcerated pro bono client about clemency petition
- Participating in second-level review of hard copy documents in preparation for deposition prep session; attending deposition prep with witness; attending the deposition
- Performing comparative research and helping prepare a legal dictionary/glossary for inclusion in a new paralegal reference and skills manual for the Namibia Paralegal Association
- Preparing 501(c)(3) application
We know feedback is important. Our lawyers are committed to providing you with immediate and meaningful feedback throughout the program. You will get a written evaluation for every assignment you complete. You also will receive performance reviews in the middle and at the end of the summer. Additionally, you will have one or two mentors guiding you and answering your questions about work-related matters, DLA Piper and the practice of law.
What have our recent summer associates thought of their experience?
- Nearly 100 percent were able to work in their areas of interest
- Almost 90 percent rated their overall summer experience as excellent