1. Know yourself – What kind of experience are you looking for? What do you want to gain from a Summer Program? What are your strengths and how will you contribute to the firms you are considering? What are your short- and long-term goals? What have you learned from past experiences that will benefit you as a summer and full-time associate? What motivates you?
2. Use your resources – Consult with your Career Services staff and participate in educational and networking activities. Reach out to alumni. Take advantage of your professional network.
3. Be prepared – Research the firms and interviewers you are meeting at each stage of the process. Know what makes them unique and be prepared to discuss why you want to work there. A significant turn-off is when students mention information that does not apply to a firm as the reason for their interest (i.e., “I want to work at a small firm” when you are interviewing at a large firm). Know what you are looking for and ask thoughtful questions. Bring extra copies of all of your application materials. Dress appropriately.
4. Sample questions – Below are some of the types of questions that you can expect to discuss during the interview process.
- How will you succeed at DLA Piper?
- Tell me about a time you accomplished something you were especially proud of.
- How did you decide that you wanted to pursue a career in law? What experiences have confirmed your decision?
- What is a significant challenge you have faced?
- How would your professors describe you?
- How do you prioritize your responsibilities and ensure you have time for yourself?